[GRASSLIST:2603] Re: GRASS 5.7 error on startup

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 19:52:23 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, alcedo wrote:

> Dear all,
> I've compiled GRASS 5.3 successfully and then I tried
> to upgrade it to version 5.7. There was an error when
> the make scripts entered the lib/proj directory. To
> solve this problem, I skipped this process by
> modifying the Makefile.

What was the error and what did you change to fix it?

Probably you have installed PROJ.4 into a location that is not searched by
your system by default for the executable programs and shared libraries.
Especially if it is in /usr/local/lib make sure /usr/local/lib is in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or on Linux you may also list it in
/etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

This would be a general Unix query, not GRASS specific. Maybe we should add a
note in the documentation on pre-requisites to make sure and install them
into a directory that your system searches for shared libraries.

> Then, I ran again the make process and it seems
> succeeded.
> After the install process, I ran GRASS and this error
> message loaded:
>
> "Error in startup script: ps.map: error while loading
> shared libraries: libproj.so.0: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>     while executing
> "exec ps.map -p"
>     (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
>     invoked from within
> "DmPrint::init"
>     (procedure "main" line 30)
>     invoked from within
> "main $argc $argv"
>     (file "/usr/local/grass57/grass57/etc/dm/d.m.tcl"
> line 785)
>
> What does this error mean?

It can't find libproj.so.0 in one of the locations it looks for shared
libraries (LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf; see above)

Paul K