[GRASSLIST:2628] Re: New Interested!

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 21:56:57 EST 2004

> I'm wondering if anybody of the grass-community has used Grass for
> Vehicle-Navigation or Routing till now?

I've done something for real-time shipboard positioning, it would work
pretty well for aerial as well after adjustments for speed. It would need
to be reworked by someone to be used for real-time land-vehicle use on a
road network, using GRASS 5.7's v.net.path et al. That would include both
updating it to work with 5.7 vectors and intergrating v.net.*.

"NOT FOR NAVIGATION, USE AT OWN RISK"
(It's a hack, but it works fairly well)

Screenshots:
  http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/realtime_gps_4.png
  http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/realtime_gps5.png
  http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/realtime_gps6.png

You can underlay GIS layers & do real-time display of say soil type
or whatever at current postion.. (broken lines are from previous tracks)

see
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/3148
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/3125

slightly older version:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/2361

To do non-realtime vehicle routing over road networks, use GRASS 5.7
and d.path, v.net.*

http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass51/tutorial/network.html
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass51/manuals/html57_user/vector.html

Hamish