[GRASSLIST:2660] Re: v.patch (category IDs and descriptions) - supplement

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 03:19:57 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Christof Bigler wrote:

> I have some additional information (see my last posting):
> When I convert the vector maps with v.to.rast to raster maps (map1.v to
> map1.r, map2.v to map2.r, map3.v to map3.r), I can see that the
> category descriptions of the grid cells from the original map2.v data
> in map3.r are overwritten with the descriptions of map1.v.

Well I think that's just the way the program (v.patch) works...it's not a
bug...if you are patching two vector maps together you must first make sure
that the categories have the same meaning in both of them. If this is not
meaningful in your case then a simple 'patching' of the files is not what
you need and you need to edit your vector data or do something more
advanced.

Editing the dig_att and dig_cats file with a text processing program to
add some number to all the attribute numbers might be something to look
at.