[GRASSLIST:2697] Grass 5.7 smart display

francesco.pirotti francesco.pirotti at unipd.it
Fri Feb 20 14:46:07 EST 2004

Hi GRASS

I am using 5.7 to deal with 156 maps in a big mosaic each weighting 10 Mb.  II
wrote a nice script which imported all the batch and added automatically the
name of each map file to the d.m menu.

The problem:
showing on the monitor 156 maps takes a long time, even if you have a low
resolution and your region is covers only one of the maps.

The solution?
I am tweaking the tcl d.m scripts to make a "smart" display function which
will basically check the region that one is viewing, and only draws the maps
which are viewable from such region, thus avoiding extra drawing.  Plus I
would like the function to change the region resolution automatically to have
a region around 1000pixels x 1200pixels everytime.

Has anybody felt a need for such a thing?  Is there already some command for
this?  Is it just foolishness?

I accept criticism humbly.

Francesco Pirotti
CIRGEO