[GRASSLIST:2252] Re: NEXRAD radar stage III precipitation estimates into GRASS 5.x

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 16 07:37:37 EST 2004

Markus et al,

I'm with the Ohio River Forecast Center and we generate Stage-III (now
called MPE - Multi-sensor Precipitation Estimator, due to a number of
algorithmic changes) data for the Ohio River basin and surrounding area.
The problem is, few of the 13 River Forecast Centers (RFCs) save the
data in NetCDF format. The data format used by all RFCs is called 'xmrg'
format (a binary file), which is unique to RFCs. However, there is a C
program (source available) that will decode this data and write it to an
ASCII lat-lon-value file from which you can easily reformat to import
into GRASS, re-sample the data, and display in whatever projection you
desire - I have a script that does this (also available).

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas E Adams