[GRASSLIST:2355] How to print labels along line with v.label ?

Dave Haffner dphaffner at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 11:40:46 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm need some gr-assistance in developing a home-grown
map of Washington, DC for a communtiy mapping project.
I'm using GRASS 5.0.3 to map TIGER/Line files, and I'm
having difficulty labeling streets along the line,
i.e. with the text parallel to the streets. The
v.label command says it will do this, but I haven't
been able to get it to.

Here's an example of what I've tried:

GRASS:~ > v.in.tig.basic t1=TGR11001.RT1
t2=TGR11001.RT2 out=16th tlid=16th_tlid
spheroid=grs80 zone=18 -t

  The file 16th_tlid contains the tlid of the street I
want to map "76222262"

GRASS:~ > d.mon start=x0
GRASS:~ > d.vect map=16th

  And my line shows up fine.

  Next, I have a file named 16th_label that contains
the text "76222262 16th Street", and I try to use this
as input for v.label.

GRASS:~ > v.label map=16th text=16th_label label=16th
color=white

  But all I get from GRASS is:

Labeled 0 lines.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've read all of the pertinent sections of the
Programmers Manual, Reference Guide, the Regis
Tutorial, the UDel tiger labs, and this GRASS list.
Exhausting the web, I've come up dry on how to get
labels to print the way I want them. You guys are my
last resort.

I understand the labels won't print along line on my
monitor, and that I'll need to use ps.map to achieve
this. Will the 'label' command in ps.map know to
rotate the labels?

Thanks for your time,
Dave Haffner