[GRASSLIST:2407] Re: v.proj problems

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 04:38:16 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Ian Macmillan wrote:

> Hi all, I am trying to convert some data from a lat-long projection to a utm
> projection.  I am using v.proj, but the projected vectors come out in the wrong
> location (northern hemisphere, when they should be southern).  The area I am
> using is in Chile, so it is in the southern hemisphere, I was thinking this
> might be the problem?  The v.info results are listed here.
>
>  Projection: UTM (zone 19)
>  |N:    8062436    S:    3775859
>  |E:     774210    W:    -213663
>
>  Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)
>  |N:        -18    S:        -56
>  |E:        -66    W:        -76
>
> Both projections use the wgs84 datum.

What are the PROJ_INFO files for your locations? (g.projinfo)
And the output of g.region -p ?
I'm thinking it should say zone -19, not 19, although that wouldn't affect
v.proj which should get all the projection information from PROJ_INFO. If
it has zone: 19 then it should also contain south: defined although
zone: -19 on its own should also work.