[GRASSLIST:2421] Re: MY GRASS GURU once again

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 06:04:32 EST 2004

> 1.) I have some digitized contour in MAPINFO. I wanted those data in
> GRASS to generate DEM. I exported those data from MAPINFO to ".dxf"
> format. Then I tried to import those data to GRASS. I used v.in.dxf.
> Later I tried v.in.dxf3d, v.llabel and v.support. The vector data
> comes to GRASS very well (in my case contours), yet the "elevation
> values" associated with those contours do not get imported. As a
> result I have to relabel the 10000.. of contours again. Its a very
> tedious task and time consuming. Could you please guide me where I am
> wrong. And what is the solution.

No idea.
'qcad' can be a useful program to find the layer name to use with "labels="
   http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

> 2.)Can I take help of Postgres and try to connect those vector values
> with it. How ?

I don't know much about the databases.. maybe someone else on the list?

> 3.) I somehow managed to label some of the contours again. I generated
> the DEM with r.surf.idw and r.surf.contour. Then I used NVIZ to
> generate the 3d view.
> Well I am getting 3d view. I want to overlay a raster classified
> (land use) map of he same area on the 3d view obtained by NVIZ so that
> I get a 3d of the classified map.
> IS overlaying of RASTER map (land use classified map) over Raster (3d
> map) possible in GRASS ? as we overlay vector over raster.

Yes, use the land use map as the "Color" of the elevation map.
nviz elev=your_DEM
Panel->Surfaces->color->New Map->land_use_raster

> 4.) The NVIZ menu doesn't work in KDE Desktop, yet it works in GNOME.
> AM I wrong...

The problem existed, don't remeber if anyone ever fixed it or even
figured out why it was happening.

a quick search of the archive turns up:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/1464
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/1435