[GRASSLIST:3825] Re: Projection lat/lon (gps) to local system

Morten Sickel morten at sickel.net
Wed Jul 7 10:56:33 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 16:38, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Morten Sickel wrote:
> [...]
> > GRASS 5.7.cvs:~/NinaSather/Kart > \
> > cat /home/grassdata/ninahsgps/PERMANENT/PROJ_INFO
> > name: Latitude-Longitude
> > proj: ll
> > ellps: wgs84
> >
> > (Should there be a datum here as well?)
>
> Yes that is probably your problem. Both locations need to have datum
> information in them or the datum transformation will not take place. If
> you add a line
> datum: wgs84
> to the end of this file /home/grassdata/ninahsgps/PERMANENT/PROJ_INFO
> then it should work.
>
> Please let us know how you get on.

That did it. Works as close to perfectly as the gpssystem goes! Thanks a lot!

A proposal to the developers: Is it possible to issue a warning if one of the
locations (involved in a projection) has a datum, whereas the other has not?
e.g in my case a warning like:

No datum found in ninahsgps, the datum information in ninahs will not be used.

or maybe set wgs84 as a default datum in a ll-location. Even if I answer wgs84
when asked for a datum when setting up a ll-location, only the ellipsoide is
set.

(using 5.7)

Morten

--