[GRASSLIST:3846] Re: NVIZ crash in 5.3 on Mandrake

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 23:28:47 EDT 2004

> > My system is now Mandrake 10 and Grass is 5.3 from 26.06.04, the
> > precompiled binaries.
> >
> > I had an identical problem with the NVIZ in Grass 5.03 on Mdk 9.2,
> > which I used to "solve" the same way.
> > Adding panels from /usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/scripts
> > Nv_(panels)
> > toplevel made
> > child killed: segmentation violation
> >     while executing
> > "exec /usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
> > /usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -q -name NVIZ
>
> We had similar problem with mandrake 9.2, and now with Debian Sarge it
> does not go any better. I have been suggested it depends from Tcl/Tk
> 8.4 (with 8.3 it should work, but it is not obvious how to use on a
> recent installation, because of dependencies.

Debian/testing/unstable:
Install the tcl8.3-dev and tk8.3-dev packages and use:
  ./configure --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3

You can still have the tcltk 8.4 libs installed, just not the 8.4 -dev
packages.

> I have the following questions:
> 1. is somebody using nviz on a recent system? What combination of
> OS+grass version works? AFAIK, Mac OSX is ok

The latest debian package (5.0.3) is built against 8.3 and NVIZ works.

I have a working NVIZ with 5.0.3, 5.3.0, and 5.7.0 on Debian/testing.

> 2. is there any chance of seeing it back working? Who has the skill to
> solve it?

As for a while it had been a TclTk 8.4 + Debian/unstable problem, I had
thought it was a threading problem that was hitting some change in
Debian's version of tcl/tk. With other new distro's having the problem
I'm now wondering if Debian was just ahead of the curve WRT compiling
with threading support.

The best approach I can think of is to build the Tcl/Tk packages from
source with debug info included and try to run NVIZ in the debugger
again.

Hamish