[GRASSLIST:3850] Re: openOSX again

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 01:47:38 EDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:01:14 +0200
Andreas Franz <andreas.franz at restaurierung.ch> wrote:

> I have bought a copy of  Grass as provided by openOSX.com. After a
> long period of time the CDs (they have sent two and charged two)
> arrived but after installing there is no application "Grass" on my
> hardrive. I could see it being installed during installation but
> disappeared right before installation was finished. None of the
> provided files could be opened!
>
> I contacted openOSX.com by email but never got any support nor even a
> single reply to all my emails. Has that dubious company vanished from
> the market or does anyone know how to get openOSX Grass running?

see
http://grass.institutoecos.org.br/grass-list/arq/9407.html
http://grass.institutoecos.org.br/grass-list/arq/9659.html
http://grass.institutoecos.org.br/grass-list/arq/9646.html
http://grass.institutoecos.org.br/grass-list/arq/9654.html
http://grass.institutoecos.org.br/grass-list/arq/9979.html

If these problems continue, perhaps we should remove mention of OpenOSX
from the GRASS website and more heavily promote Lorenzo Moretti's great
work[*] as the situation as it exists reflects badly on the GRASS
community. Their link to the GRASS website leads to a non-existant page
Baylor Univ.

see:  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass50/binary/mac_os_x/

[*] http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/

Perhaps we should do that regardless of any problems people have with
any 3rd party vendor.

IIRC, updating things so people can use the Mac/Aqua version of tcltk
for the tcltkgrass menu system was only minor changes?

see  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/2681

1. The web browser bit is already done for 5.7's gui help system.
2. The xwininfo problem is solved in 5.7 by d.info.
3. easy to change
4. no action needed??

maybe Michael Barton has already fixed some of these issues
incidentally?

NVIZ is another story...

fwiw, we purchased the OpenOSX CD in 2002 or so when the book first came
out and had no problems with them back then.

Hamish