[GRASSLIST:3897] Re: getting started in grass

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 23:09:18 EDT 2004

> I have never used grass before, and am having difficulty getting started.

try the tutorial:
http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/grass5tutor/HTML_en/book1.html

more generally:
http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/tutorials.html

> I have installed Grass 5.0.0pre3 on a Sun Solaris box.

That is quite old and probably buggy. Try to get your hands on a newer version.

> my home directory is /home/nglawre under which I have put the spearfish
> dataset.
>
> When I start grass, I am asked to provide a location mapset and database.
>
> I'm not sure what the correct entries are, for running the spearfish
> dataset.

"database" will be the directory that holds all your grass data, e.g.:
/home/nglawre/grassdata

"location" will be spearfish

"mapset" will be user1

see: