[GRASSLIST:3940] Re: Merging topographic data

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 16 14:10:42 EDT 2004

Hi there, as I see it, there are a couple of ways that you can do this.
  Although I don't recognize the .lld format, so you might have to
figure out how to import that into GRASS first.  I am assuming that you
have imported both data sets into one GRASS location (careful with your
projections!).

1) If your bathymetry has a well defined shoreline (i.e. it is always
at 0 meters, or there is no land data), then you can just do a simple
r.patch input=bathymetry,srtm output=combined.  r.patch uses all data
from the first file, then fills in holes with the second file.  Make
sure your region is set correctly too.

2) If your shoreline is difficult to pick out in your bathymetry file,
then it is a little trickier.  You can download a shoreline vector file
from here (it's free, you just have to create a user).  It should be
the political/ocean network file, you'll have to surf around on the
site.

http://data.geocomm.com/

Then import that into grass using m.in.e00.  Bring it into the location
with your other data using v.proj (usually the vector files are nad27,
lat-long).  Turn it into a raster with v.to.rast.  Subtract out the
ocean data from SRTM and patch in the bath file with
r.mapcalc newfile = 'if(isnull(shoreline_file),bathymetry,srtm)'

If there is a gap at the shoreline (the vector files aren't always
exact), you can make a buffer with r.buffer input=shoreline_file
output=shoreline.buff distances=500 units=meters.  Then do the mapcalc
command.

Good luck,
Ian