[GRASSLIST:3967] Re: Creating Polygon vectors

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 21:24:28 EDT 2004

> I have GPS data (GarminII) in Waypoint+ .txt format (saved as tracks).

Try to install gpstrans. Then you can use s.in.garmin.sh and
v.in.garmin.sh directly. I still need to finish v.in.garmin.sh for 5.3
(soon), and then do v.in.garmin for 5.7 when that is done, but it pretty
much works now.
http://gpstrans.sourceforge.net/

Otherwise, you'll need to edit the track.txt file into a vector-ascii
file and import it that way.
see  http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/html_grass5/html/v.in.ascii.html

> I also have an imported vector (,shp) file with the outer boundaries
> of the whole area of interest (a Game Park).

In GRASS 5.7, import with v.in.ogr or v.external.
In GRASS 5.0/5.3 import with v.in.shape.

> I want to create polygons from a combination of the park boundary and
> the GPS tracks. Is there any documentation about how to go about this?

You probably need to use GRASS 5.7 for this.  v.overlay, etc.
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass57/manuals/html57_user/vector.html
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass57/tutorial/index.html

Hamish