[GRASSLIST:3974] Re: SV: Some questions about 5.3 and r.cva - got it to compile

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 22:50:55 EDT 2004

> Regarding including r.cva in GRASS I can just say that it would be
> great. Problem is; as long as it is'nt under any particular licence
> (GPL, BSD) I guess it must be considered as essentially Mark's private
> work and Intelectual Property. So Mark's permission must be gotten to
> make this happen. I'l mail him also on this! If he could be persuaded
> to publish the module under the GPL it could be included(?) and others
> could improve on it.

It's been a while since I played with r.los and r.cva, but I was under
the impression that r.cva was based on r.los, and thus not entirely an
original work.

here we go:  http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~tcrnmar/GIS/r.cva.html

Acknowledgements
"r.cva draws heavily on the code for r.los, which was written by Kewan
Q. Khawaja, Intelligent Engineering Systems Laboratory, M.I.T."

It is based on r.los from GRASS 4.2 (pre-GPL) but, he also distributes a
version for 5.x:  r.cva_v5x.tar.gz ... shrug

regardless; it's good to make contact and hopefully he's happy for us to
include and maintain it, as r.los doesn't scale well at all.

Hamish