[GRASSLIST:4039] Re: Installation Grass5.7 problem

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 20:04:55 EDT 2004

> Following installation I am receiving the following error message:
>
> "couldn't execute "C:\cygwin\bin\g.gisenv": no such file or directory
> .... Is this something to do with the CYGWIN X monitor?

It looks like grass is not installed correctly on your computer.

g.gisenv is a core grass module (it manages the GIS enviroment settings)
It's likely that other stuff is missing too, just that g.gisenv is the
first internal grass program it tries.

The g.gisenv program should be located in:
/usr/local/grass57_[...]/bin/
and
/usr/local/grass57_[...]/etc/bin/cmd/

'grass57' should be in /usr/local/bin/

and when finally running GRASS, "echo $PATH" should show
/usr/local/grass57_[...]/bin/ as the first entry.

I take it you are starting grass with:
cygwin$ startx
cygwin-xterm$ grass57

?

make sure the path inside the grass57 script is correct.
(/usr/local/bin/grass57 is just a text file)

If that doesn't work, just try reinstalling.

Did you install from the "/" directory in cygwin? I think it expects
that.

I don't think it has anything to do with X.

Hamish