[GRASSLIST:3570] Scripts wanted for GRASS Script Exchange

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jun 1 16:52:57 EDT 2004

With some trepidation, I am launching the GRASS Script Exchange. The
idea is to provide a place where GRASS users can contribute scripts
they have written and make them available for the wider GRASS user
community without having to contribute them to the main GRASS source
code. This makes all scripts available for people to use and enhance.
Some may even find their way into the GRASS distribution.

I am starting this on a trial basis this summer because I don't yet
know how much work this will be to maintain. A major issue is that
Arizona State no longer permits standard ftp connections (only sftp),
so I can't create an anonymous ftp downloads directory for the scripts.
This means that I have to list them all individually in a html page.
This isn't a lot of work, but it does add to the
maintenance--especially given that the lack of standard ftp connections
means that I have to manually upload all web material via sftp instead
of using my web authoring and site maintenance program. However, I
*think* that now that I have the basic format set up, it shouldn't be
too difficult to keep up with adding new scripts.

And I do hope that I have new scripts to add.  I want to encourage the
user community to contribute any scripts they have developed for GRASS
5.0.x, 5.3, and 5.7. I also hope that this kind of exchange might
encourage GRASS users to create more and more creative scripts for
GRASS.

The script exchange can be found at
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass_scripts.htm>. Information on
how to contribute scripts can be found there. One think I forgot to
mention in this information is that you should give your name (and
contact information if you'd like) and the date of the script in the
script header--so that you get credit for your work.

This is worth the effort if people contribute their scripts.

Cheers
Michael Barton
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671