[GRASSLIST:3578] Re: surfer grid

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 22:13:12 EDT 2004

> > > I'm trying to export a DEM created in GRASS to golden Software's
> > > Surfer (v.8), but when I try to open it, Surfer gives "unable to
> > > read test.grd".
> > > does anyone experienced something like this?
> >
> > GRASS53> r.out.ascii -s in=topo out=topo.grd
> >
> > Surfer 8.04:
> > File->New->Plot Doc
> > Map->Shaded Relief Map
> > Open->"topo.grd"
> >
> > works for me..
> > Maybe try exporting the DEM as integers? (add the -i flag to
> > r.out.ascii)
>
> Didn't work
>
> I tried the -i -s flags, still get "unable to read", in Surfer.

No idea. I just tried with a map with NULLs, that worked fine too.

Surfer can take a multitude of import formats, can you try exporting to
something else and loading that in?

Lat/lon location?

Francisco:
> If I'm not wrong (it's a long time since the last time I used surfer)
> you have to take into account that surfer data are point data not cell
> data. So, the first X and last X in surfer header information are
> refererd to the center of the cells in the resulting GRASS map so you
> have to add and subs ewres/2 to the e and w parameters in the
> cell_head file. The same for Y coordinate.

I think this is already taken care of, right clicking on the shaded
relief map and selecting Properties->Limit shows w-(ewres/2) etc.

Hamish