[GRASSLIST:3621] Re: function to compare rasters visually

Stephan Holl sholl at gmx.net
Tue Jun 8 02:56:58 EDT 2004

Hello Benjamin,

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:22:25 +0200 Benjamin Ducke
<benducke at compuserve.de> wrote:

> Dissolve seems to be what graphics programs like
> Photoshop call "transparency" and is usually
> implemented using an alpha blending.
> It should not be too hard to implement something
> like this in a GRASS rast module.
> The Open Source program Gimp (www.gimp.org) should have all
> the necessary algorithms.
> Also, Graphics Gems (Vol. I) has an alpha blending algorithm.
> I would like to see something like this in a GRASS module,
> but I really think alpha blending should be done by adding the
> needed functionality to d.rast. Maybe one could add an integer
> 1..100 to the '-o' parameter to specifiy the strength of
> transparency?

Probably QGIS is a solution for your questions. It supports
alpha-blending and GRASS-rasters and -vectors as well when compiling
with the GRASS-plugin.

Have a look at
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/qgis

A detailed instruction how to set this up is here:
	http://community.qgis.org

hth
	Stephan Holl

--