[GRASSLIST:3641] v.extract (5.7) doesn't work on extra fields?

William K woklist at charter.net
Wed Jun 9 14:08:08 EDT 2004

Here's what I've done so far (ultimately I want to test dissolve TIGER
polygons by ZIP code):

- use native GRASS 5.7 geometry, and store attribs in MySQL (so I can
do some table cleanup).
- import TIGER CompleteChain, PIP, Polygon layers, with type boundary
and centroid.
- now I have 3 fields - the 3rd is extra polygon attributes, where the
ZIP codes are
- use SQL copy to create a new table from field 3 with cat and ZCTA5
columns only
- register new table with GRASS vectors as field 4
- extract with dissolve:

   v.extract -d in=tgr out=tgrzip type=area,centroid field=4 list=1-99999

and I get 0 everything output.

I've tried type=boundary,centroid and boundary,area,centroid.
I've tried where="cat > 0" instead of a list.
I've tried without dissolving, just to see if I could get anything.

If I leave out the field I get a copy of all areas/centroids and field
1 (the boundary attribs), which is not quite as expected (for areas I'd
expect field 2, the area/centroid attribs), but it's something.  And
nothing is dissolved of course since all attribs are unique.

So, ignoring the dissolve option for now (just testing), nothing is
getting selected when a field other than 1 is used.

Bug?  Am I missing something?  The imported TIGER vector seem to be OK
- v.info reports boundaries, areas and centroids and vector level 2.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect