[GRASSLIST:3704] Re: Newbie question from a mac user.

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 17 18:39:45 EDT 2004

I can't answer all your questions, but here are some tips.

1. Make sure your region is set to your raster area.  Try

g.region rast=your_raster_map
d.rast your_raster_map

This can also be done from the pull down menus (GIS? > manage region)

2. Are you trying to make vectors out of topo lines or something similar?  Try
v.digit I think.

3. Don't know, sorry

4. This is a link with some basic maps
http://goasia.about.com/od/nepalmapsgeography/
the USGS seamless server might have a DEM of Nepal too, use Netscape 7 or above
here
http://seamless.usgs.gov

Good luck,
Ian

Quoting Tor A Strand <tor.strand at cih.uib.no>:

> 2nd day on Grass 5,3/5.7 for mac
>
> I do not understand how to digitize maps and encounter the following
> problems
>
> 1. I am able to add an image to my directory of rasters (r.in.gdal) but
> unable to display the image.
> 2. Then, how do I digitize the image.
> 3. How do I link a dbf or excel file to the database.
> 4. Where is the best place to obtain maps for Nepal
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tor

Ian MacMillan
Geological Sciences-UCSB