[GRASSLIST:3754] Re: v.digit and raster as background

Sun Jun 27 06:35:38 EDT 2004

Hello Paul,

On Saturday 26 June 2004 17:38, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to use v.digit with a raster image as background with:
> >
> > d.mon x0
> > d.rast rast1 # I am not sure if that is necessary
> > v.digit -n map=test1 bgcmd=d.rast map=rast1 # did I understood bgcmd
> > correctly?
>
> Yes except you always need to quote arguments that have spaces in them.

thanks, v.digit -n map=test1 bgcmd="d.rast map=rast1" works.

Just curious, how do I do it the "graphical way" - I found the d.rast
map=rast1 command in the v.digit GUI-open settings-background. But starting
with v.digit map=test1 and then adding the command d.rast map=rast1 did not
work.

> > P.S.: For some commands I would appreciate a short example at the bottom
> > of the html-man-pages, this would make it easier to understand the
> > command.
>
> Once you have some that you feel illustrate the modules well, please
> submit them for inclusion.

submit them where, as wish or to the author (Radim)?

I would submit these examples which should cover the functionality and a hint
in the man page that quotes are important if the bgcmd setting includes
spaces.

d.mon x0
d.rast name_of_your_raster #just to look at and to zoom into the area of
interest

# digitizing an area based on a existing raster map, a vector map will be
created

v.digit -n map=name_of_new_vector_map bgcmd="d.rast map=name_of_your_raster"

# "-n" specifies that your vector map does not exist yet and will be created
with the name given by "map=". "bgcmd=" specifies a display ("d.*") command
and is set into quotes because it contains a space.
#the v.digit GUI appears -- after exiting v.digit GUI the vector map
"name_of_new_vector" exists

d.erase # to clear the monitor
d.vect "name_of_new_vector" # the newly created vector should appear in the
monitor

# digitize a new vector and using the first vector and the raster image as
background

d.erase # clear monitor
v.digit -n map=name_of_new_vector_map bgcmd="d.rast map=name_of_your_raster;
d.vect=name_of_a_second_vector"
#v.digit GUI appears and the layer defined in the "bgcmd=" settings are
displayed in the background. The "bgcmd=" settings have to be seen as a
series of commands separated with ";", therefore the last command "d.vect"
displays the vector on top of the raster image.

# digitzing a raster map and using a previously created vector map as base
which is displayed in the background as well

v.digit  map=name_vector bgcmd="d.rast map=name_of_your_raster;
d.vect=name_vector"