[GRASSLIST:3768] Re: compiling grass-5.3.0

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 16:00:40 EDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Eric Pante wrote:

> dear listers,
>
> I am a linux beginner trying to compile grass 5.3 from the source (need
> to modify a module) on my machine (Mandrake 9.2) ;
>
> when launching ./configure, I have the following error message: configure
> error *** couldn't find gdal-config.
>
> I installed gdal (OpenEV_FW 1.7), and I can see the gdal-config file (I
> tryed installing it in home/eric/gdal, as well as /opt/src/gdal,
> /opt/src/grass53sources, /opt/src/grass53sources/grass-5.3.0)...
>
> Could any one tell me why I need gdal eventhough this is not supposed to
> be a requirement for compiling gras (I don't even need r.in.gdal), and

You don't: just use --without-gdal. See ./configure --help for more
details. It is rare that you would be able to compile GRASS the way you
want it by just running ./configure without any additional options anyway.

> why the source does not compile eventhough I installed gdal ? I searched
> the litterature & the internet and could not find an answer...

gdal-config must either be in your path, or else give the full path to it
as the argument to --with-gdal, e.g.
--with-gdal=/home/eric/gdal/gdal-config
As far as I remember ./configure --help gives quite a clear example about
this (I added extra information a while ago as it sometimes confused
people before). Please offer any suggestions you have for making it
clearer.