[GRASSLIST:3783] Re: Fun with dbf in GRASS57

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jun 30 01:25:25 EDT 2004

> Hello,
> I want to select some areas from a vector map connected to a dbf file.
> The
> wanted area must match a given string pattern, but I can't get passed
> this
> message:
>
> DBMI-DBF driver error:
> SQL parser error in statement:
> SELECT * FROM NHD_HU11d WHERE HUC_11 LIKE '02040101%'

The GRASS SQL implementation doesn't use the operator 'like' (It also
doesn't use 'in')

> Could anybody point me to some generic references about what a dbf
> server can
> or cannot do, and how easy is it to switch to another driver (seems
> that I'll
> have to use postgresql eventually...)

I had a similar question and Radim pointed me to this brief but useful
guide in the GRASS 5.7 manual. Here is the address for the on-line
version.

<http://grass.itc.it/grass57/manuals/html57_user/sql.html>

Cheers,
Michael

C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA