[GRASSLIST:2924] Re: Puzzling mapcalc command

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at fonnesbeck.org
Fri Mar 12 12:43:58 EST 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 12:28 PM, SWlab wrote:

> Is there any alternative to "r.mapcalc" to create/modify rasters in
> scripts ?
> I thought about using PDLs in Perl, but the interaction with GRASS has
> to be
> optimized to be really useful (I started using r.in.ascii/r.out.ascii
> read/write GRASS maps to/from PDLs, but the process is a bit too
> long...). Of
> course, not talking C is a handicap, and I'm not really keen on using
> FORTRAN either... Any idea would be welcomed.

What about using R? The R-GRASS module seems to be pretty
well-developed, and designed for raster manipulation. Have a look at
the example in Markus' short course:

http://mpa.itc.it/markus/shortcourse/notes7.html

Chris
--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck ( c h r i s @ f o n n e s b e c k . o r g )
Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia