[GRASSLIST:2941] Re: data imput

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 14 14:50:46 EST 2004

Your problem might be that you're using Mac line breaks instead of
Unix. Macs traditionally used a different character to indicate line
breaks from Windows or Unix. It's changed now with OSX - I get the
impression that programs are inconsistent in whether they use the old
Mac or new Unix/OSX breaks. GRASS expects UNIX line breaks and will
fail if you use Mac line breaks. There are a number of programs which
will convert from one to another; I use BBEdit; there's a free version
available at versiontracker
(http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/604). Open your text
file in BBEdit; there should be a series of little icons at the top of
the document, one of which is a file icon; pull down this menu, and you
should see the first three items as "Macintosh", "Unix" and "DOS". If
your document has "Macintosh" checked, change it to "Unix", save and
try again. Again there are other ways to do this, probably more
efficient; but this has worked for me. Good luck,

Nick Cahill