[GRASSLIST:2953] Re: Importing Canadian CDED (*.dem)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 21:05:34 EST 2004

> I'm a bit of a newbie to grass and I'm having trouble figuring out
> which import cmd to use to import a CDED dem. If anyone could help me
> out I would really appreciate it.

No direct instructions, but some hints & places to look:

r.in.gdal covers most kinds of formats you can think of.
See "supported formats" at http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal

some quick googling:

This PDF file provides the details of the CDED dem format:
http://www.cits.rncan.gc.ca/fich_ext/1/text//products/dnec/cdedspec.pdf

This page states the format is created by Australian National
University Digital Elevation Model software, and is pretty much just
a USGS DEM.
http://www.brocku.ca/maplibrary/procedures/CDEDinAV.htm

Finally, (uncleaned) SRTM-3" data is available for most of North America,
you might try that for a high-res DEM. (southern Canada at high(est)
resolution; nothing for northern Canada...)

see:
http://mpa.itc.it/rs/srtm/index.html
http://www-radar.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/
ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm

If you still have no joy, you might have to hire someone to include
support for CDED in GDAL or elsewhere... I think it would be pretty
straight forward & quick to do. The folks at remotesensing.org or
http://www.tekmap.ns.ca might be able to help you out (among others).

Hamish