[GRASSLIST:2981] Re: Compiling GRASS5.3/Cygwin

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Thu Mar 18 15:11:07 EST 2004

Martin du Saire wrote:

> So, I am thinking about learning how to build a binary...  Is
> GRASS/Cygwin a "simple" program to build, or should I look for something
> more suited to beginners?
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Martin

Building a basic working Grass, without the Tcl/Tk components is fairly
straight forward under Cygwin. The more options you enable, the more
supporting package that you have to install. The basic Tcl/Tk
functionality is a bit more challenging. Nviz has thus far eluded me. If
you have a Linux installation, I would suggest starting there. Cygwin is
not as stable or well supported as any of the popular Linux distributions.

Dive in, you have nothing to lose. And regardless of how successful you
are, you'll learn a lot.

--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com