[GRASSLIST:2995] Re: NViz: command not found

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Mar 20 03:46:25 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 12:43:40PM -0700, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> Paul Kelly wrote:
> >Hello Richard
> >
> >On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> >

> >>I have ftp'd a complete Cygwin 5.0.3 binary distribution to
> >>grass.itc.it/incoming which includes a working Nviz, fftw, and PNG
> >>driver. If you could replace the current files with these then I think
> >>it will make things easier for new Cygwin users.
> >

> >Not to disparage your efforts but especially in light of Markus' recent
> >e-mail I feel we should not be promoting 5.0.x any more and a 5.3 binary
> >distribution would be much more useful and beneficial. I am only saying
> >this because I recall you said you have produced such a distribution.
> >There really is no point in pushing 5.0 any longer IMHO.
> >
> >Paul
>
> I agree, but the official 5.0.3 Cygwin distribution included a
> non-functional Nviz and thanks to Glynn, we have a functional one. So it
> seems fair to include it.
>
> Regarding 5.3, I do have a good recent Cygwin binary distribution at
> greenwoodmap.com/grass and whenever Markus begins distributing 5.3
> binaries from grass.itc.it then I hope he will copy it there. (I am not
> trying to become a Grass mirror or distribution point, it's just easy
> for me to put things on my site).

Richard,

I'm happy to copy over your 5.3 binaries.
But one day we should go for an official release (this year? just kidding).

> Regarding 5.7 on Cygwin, neither Nviz or v.digit are currently working.
> I haven't tested it much. But I do have a binary distribution at
> greenwoodmap.com/grass

At least the v.digit looks as easy to fix (maybe there is no
stdout redirection on Cygwin?).

> Regarding promoting the use of 5.3, I think distributing binaries would
> be a good first step. The web statistics that Markus sited earlier this
> week did not include any 5.3 binary downloads because none are available
> from http://grass.itc.it/download.html :)

Right, but there are 5.7 binaries for Linux which are not
downloaded much. Also all source code versions are available.

Markus Neteler