[GRASSLIST:3402] Re: NVIZ segfault

Carl Brown cbsled at ncia.net
Wed May 12 19:22:39 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 5:17 pm, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Regarding NVIZ segfaults generally, my suspicion is that Tcl/Tk is the
> most likely culprit, particularly if using Tcl/Tk 8.4.

Given that all of my recent compilation difficulties originated from Tcl/Tk,
and that I have personally seen NVIZ segfaults on systems with widely varying hardware,
I am strongly inclined to agree. Further, if the problem were in the NVIZ code,
it almost certainly would have been found and fixed by now.

Of particular note in my present situation is the ubiquitous and uniform nature
of the segfaults between different GRASS versions and installation methods on the same hardware.
This strongly suggests a cause external to GRASS, and Tcl/Tk certainly fills that bill.
The suspect Tcl/Tk 8.4 is installed, and is the only available version, I think.
If rigorous testing is needed, I would need to check, but assume it is so for now.

I posted the 5.3-cvs results in my previous post.
I cannot reproduce the 5.03 binary segfault at this time,
because the 5.03 binary has been removed from the system.

If you think that it would be worth it for the additional data point, I'll reinstall it,
but the caveat on that is that because this is a debian system,
"apt-get install grass" may make changes that affect the testing.
I doubt it, since the system components support more recent GRASS versions,
but I wouldn't certify the results of that test. It would be better to do that test clean.

Now here is the NVIZ segfault on GRASS 5.7-cvs, using the same location, mapset,
and data as the 5.3-cvs segfault posted earlier:

GRASS 5.7.-cvs:~/src/grass/grass57 > nviz el=gdaltest

Version: @(#) 5.7.-cvs (2004)

Authors: Bill Brown, Terry Baker, Mark Astley, David Gerdes
        modifications: Jaro Hofierka, Bob Covill

--snip--

Update elev null mask
translating colors from fp
Adding panels from /home/cb/src/grass/grass57/dist.i586-pc-linux-gnu/etc/nviz2.2/scripts
Nv_(panels)
toplevel made
global-exag = 1.000000
recalculating normals...
100
200
info widget made
panel area made
file menu made
Help menu made
disabled made
Nv_mkPanelMenu 1
child killed: segmentation violation
    while executing
"exec /home/cb/src/grass/grass57/dist.i586-pc-linux-gnu/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f /home/cb/src/grass/grass57/dist.i586-pc-linux-gnu/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/..."
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script $argv -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
    invoked from within
"if {$argv == ""} {
#no arguments
eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -name NVIZ >&@stdo..."
    (file "/home/cb/src/grass/grass57/dist.i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nviz" line 16)

--
Carl Brown
Whitefield, NH USA