[GRASSLIST:3491] Re: Geophysical/Potential field modules for GRASS?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 25 16:20:49 EDT 2004

Craig,

I will write you directly as well as the list. Perhaps you can
coordinate several of replies.

Most of the things being requested below already exist in GRASS. I will
comment briefly but will be happy to expand if you'd like. As is the
gist of the comments below, I'll focus on GRASS 5.7.

1. I agree with Benjamin about device drivers. These are a lot of
trouble and beyond what a GIS is designed to do. They have to be
platform-specific and device-specific to be useful. On the other hand,
most data collectors for geophysical data produce standard ascii output
files (e.g., csv). These CAN be read into GRASS using v.in.ascii.

2. The idea of a GIS is to have an integrated data management system.
This is quite good in GRASS 5.7. Internally it uses dbf files. This
would be more than sufficient for standard geophysical data and easily
readable by a variety of other common programs (e.g., Excel, Access,
Filemaker). However, as someone pointed out below, 5.7 also has easy
links to other database systems like MySQL and PostgreSQL.

3.  A ...
>>   mesh of adjacent, regular measurement grids with dimension,
>>   orientation and origin in reference to the working location

...is provided by the GRASS raster data model. It is a regular grid by
default and you can specify the size of each grid in the g.region
module. Point data can be easily attached to the grid, though a simple
script might make this easier.

If the original data are not oriented according to geographic
directions, they can be imported into an XY location. If a set of
points are known that relate an arbitrary XY location to a
georeferenced (i.e., real world) grid system, GRASS provides tools
(i.rectify, v.transform, r.proj,  v.proj) to georeference the original
working grid so that it can be combined with any other grids.

4. GRASS has a series of fairly sophisticated filter modules. More
could be written if there are specific ones for particular kinds of
uses. The ones that exist include: r.neighbor (many neighborhood
functions like mean, median, diversity, etc.), r.mfilter (user-defined
matrix/convolving filter), i.fft and i.ifft (fast fourier transform),
and i.zc (zero-crossing edge detection). It also includes a reasonably
decent set of image classification (supervised and unsupervised) and
analysis functions (e.g., pca, cannonical components analysis, tassled
cap and brovey transformations, etc.). Of course, there are all the
other many raster and vector analysis modules that can be applied to
multiple grids.

5. r.colors gives very flexible and powerful ways to create and modify
color tables across the grids. You can specify by values, ranges of
values, percents of total, etc. using standard GRASS colors and/or rgb
triplets.

6. On top of this, you can easily render any grid and vector data into
2.5 D surfaces using NVIZ, AND you can create true 3D volumes using the
Grid3D modules. The latter still need to be better developed but are as
or more sophisticated than anything else I know of in a GIS package. 3D
volumes can also be displayed and manipulated in NVIZ. Finally, using
NVIZ, you can create 'fly-through' key frame animations.

I am sure that GRASS could benefit from new modules or shell scripts
that could enhance its ability to be used in geophysical analysis
(e.g., new filters or scripts to automate the import and georeferencing
of XY data). However, it interesting that it already does all the
things requested below.

Michael Barton
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671