[GRASSLIST:3525] Re: Geophysical/Potential field modules for GRASS?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri May 28 00:57:33 EDT 2004

This is part of what is needed, but not all of it. What happens in
geophysical survey is that someone walks up and down transects within a
grid; the data recorder ticks off the readings at each point; it may
let the operator record the transect. As so...

1 5 1 5 1
2 4 2 4 2
3 3 3 3 3
4 2 4 2 4
5 1 5 1 5

OR

1.1  2.5  3.1  4.5  5.1
1.2  2.4  3.2  4.4  5.2
1.3  2.3  3.3  4.3  5.3
1.4  2.2  3.4  4.2  5.4
1.4  2.1  3.5  4.1  5.5

The data recorder outputs a data file more or less like this.....

1 time date value
2 time date value
3 time date value

These need to be translated into xy coordinates for each point given
the (x) spacing between transects and the (y) spacing between data
reading along transects.

I do think it would be handy for other reasons to add a -g flag to
r.transect
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA