[GRASSLIST:4713] Re: vector point dataset

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Nov 5 03:59:27 EST 2004

It is normal.
Spatial index is important also for points, I think. Otherwise
v.distance for example
must always go through all points. Say that you have another vector with
4,000,000
and you want to find the nearst in the first one. Withou spatial index it
must do 4,000,000 x 4,000,000 checks.
Spatial index is stored as tree of boxes, 6x8 bytes each, so 430 M is
possible.

Any advice appreciated....