[GRASSLIST:4799] Re: v.digit and other interactive commands

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 01:08:14 EST 2004

> This is probably not related to the last couple of posts on v.digit
> crashing... but it seems like a lot of the interactive programs like
> v.digit will send my processor useage up to near 100% when it is
> waiting for user input...
>
> Any ideas?

yeah.. the code which waits for you to press a mouse button is a loop.
Usually you would have it sleep for a tenth of a second between
checking, but the usleep() function in the C library isn't portable
across all the computing platforms that GRASS supports.

There is one called sleep() which will work on everyones' systems, but
it will only let the system go to sleep for 1 second at a time which
makes reaction time way too slow. So we just leave it checking as fast
as the computer can check, which is why you are pegged at 100%.

annoying but harmless for the most part.

Note that d.zoom from the command line in 5.3 is fine, in 5.7 it is not.
5.7's d.what.vect is especially bad at this.

This is even worse when you are running grass remotely over the network.

suggestions for fixing this are welcome..

Hamish