[GRASSLIST:4926] Re: Adding new fonts in GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Nov 23 18:59:17 EST 2004

Patton, Eric wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can add new fonts to GRASS? I want to be able to use
> sans serif fronts like Arial for text I'm using in ps.map.

The PostScript files generated by ps.map don't include font
definitions; the fonts need to exist within the PostScript interpreter
(e.g. Ghostscript or your printer).

Refer to the documentation for Ghostscript or the printer for
information on adding fonts.

If you just want to use a sans-serif font, but don't care which one,
use "Helvetica", as that's present in all PostScript implementations

More generally, you can rely upon the presence of the following fonts
in any PostScript implementation:

	Times-Roman
	Times-Italic
	Times-Bold
	Times-BoldItalic
	Helvetica
	Helvetica-Oblique
	Helvetica-Bold
	Helvetica-BoldOblique
	Courier
	Courier-Oblique
	Courier-Bold
	Courier-BoldOblique
	Symbol

[However, ps.map can only handle ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) text, so you
can't use Symbol.]

Anything else needs to be added to the printer (etc) via
implementation-specific means.

Or you may be able to obtain a utility to convert TrueType fonts to
PostScript fonts and embed them into the PostScript file (but check
the licensing information for the fonts if you plan to distribute the
PostScript file).