[GRASSLIST:4450] Re: GIS Day

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 23:51:51 EDT 2004

> [I wonder how many more years it will take to get
>  a more recent GRASS into Debian:
>  http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/grass.html
> ]

Debian is currently freezing over in preparation of it's newest release.

I believe the GRASS package maintainers are working on 5.7 which will be
uploaded after the current cycle. The Debian QGIS package maintainer is
also keen to include support for 5.7.

The PROJ.4 package is at 4.4.8; the GDAL packages are at 1.2.1.
  (and GRASS builds fine with these installed)
  (note a new GDAL 1.2.3 is out, with support for 5.7->QGIS)

It could be argued that 5.3.0 should be in this release of Debian, but I
think it might be too late for that now.

[Once 5.7 is in Debian, most of the knoppix derivatives get the package
automatically; until then it is quite a bit of work for live-CD folks to
include it]

Hamish