[GRASSLIST:4465] Re: fixes for recent problems in tcltkgrass for GRASS 5.3

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Oct 4 17:20:12 EDT 2004

Sorry if I misstated this. I was working from memory, not finding the
original email that described what happened.

Prior to an update to (what I understood was) one of the parsing routines by
Hamish in late July or August, a command in a GRASS 5.3 tcltkgrass module
like {d.measure -s} would parse as a single string...

d.measure -s

After that update, this now parses seems to parse (incorrectly) as a list...

d.measure
-s

Possibly I misunderstood which update was the likely cause of this, but the
discussions I saw suggested that it was one of the updates that allowed
GRASS 5.7 to correctly parse strings that included spaces.

If this is not the case, then perhaps it is worthwhile to dig more to track
it down. Perhaps similar, but not quite equivalent changes were made to the
parsing routines of 5.3 and 5.7 at the same time???

Michael

On 10/4/04 1:36 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn.clements at virgin.net> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Due to changes in the GRASS input parsing system, a few tcltkgrass commands
>> no longer worked correctly. I *think* (and hope) that I found all the few
>> instances and have fixed them. I just committed these fixes to the CVS.
>
> The problems relate to changes in tcltkgrass, not libgis.
>
>> This is an additional reason to separate the 5.3 build from 5.7. Because
>> both 5.3 and 5.7 share the same code for input parsing fix to make this work
>> much better under 5.7 broke input parsing for a few cases in 5.3 where it
>> had worked fine before.
>
> Nothing related to command-line parsing is shared between 5.3 and 5.7.
> 5.7 has its own version of d.m, tcltkgrass and parser.c.

School of Human Diversity and Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671