[GRASSLIST:4290] Re: Releasing GRASS modules

Benjamin Ducke benducke at compuserve.de
Thu Sep 2 12:03:12 EDT 2004

Hmmmm, deductive, inductive, to tell you the truth,
I think every solid model involves both a data-driven,
inductive and a theory-based deductive approach.
After having been in the predictive modelling business
for almost five years, I can't see much sense in this
artifical separation any longer, especially since
the whole debatte seems to be going on only in archaeology.

Anyway, my modules allow you to put any amount of
inductive or deductive reasoning into your model
depending on how you quantify the evidence.
If you just go with the basic predictive modelling
tools provided, you will get a data-driven model
by default, but you can put any amount of a-priori
knowledge into it.

Please read the documentaion that comes with the
modules to see how this works.

For your purpose it seems to me all you need to do is
some surveying after running the model to establish
a regression equation for model (belief) output
vs. site density.

Cheers,

Benjamin