[GRASSLIST:4336] Re: --with-gdal

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 04:49:45 EDT 2004

Hello Maciek

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> hi!
>
> can somebody please tell me if it is safe to build Grass 5.3
> (cvs) --with-gdal?

Of course it is safe!---this is the default. r.in.gdal probably will not
work if you specify --without-gdal

> I found some information on it but I'm confused
>
> I want the r.out.gdal in Grass work

r.out.gdal does not use the GDAL library so --with-gdal or --without-gdal
is irrelevant for it. It uses gdal_translate and you must compile GDAL with
GRASS support. Or a workaround is to use r.out.tiff to create a tiff
image together with world file, g.proj -wf to create projection information
and to merge them all together with gdal_translate. See the r.out.gdal script
for a hint on how to do this.

Paul