[GRASSLIST:4378] Re: Import ascii points - Grass5.7

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Sep 20 04:41:21 EDT 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 17:46, Michael Cunningham wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are memory limitations to memory size of
> importing ascii files?  Example, importing a 300Mb (X, Y, Z) gives a memory
> alloc fault after about 2 hours of running.  Don't think it's machine (dual
> G5, 4Gb Ram OS 10.3, Mac).  I can import files >1Gb  in Grass5.3 (i.e.
> sites).  I've tried importing sites and then converting to new grass5.7
> vector layer, with the same error.  Any help or pointers much appreciated.
> Regards, Mike

Which database (driver)? I think that the problem is dbf database
used for attributes. dbf is not suitable for large datasets.

If you have only x,y,z, it is better don't use attributes, try
v.in.ascii -z -t

To import 1000000 points on my 2 x 1.5GHz (v.in.ascii -z -t) takes 5m42.310s
and uses 345MB of memory.

Radim