[GRASSLIST:6365] Re: Startup Error GRASS60

Kingsley Burlinson kgb at synix.com.au
Fri Apr 8 03:17:01 EDT 2005

Hi Duster
This is precisely the problem I encountered and mentioned to the list
last week. You MUST have nviz and therefore opengl also, in order for
the grass6 gui to work. These items are NOT optional, contrary to the
statements in the "requirements" on the grass6 web page.

Although the REQUIREMENTS states that you do not have to compile nviz -
in fact you DO need to compile Nviz to get the grass6 gui to work .
Without nviz, you get this error message. You need to recompile and
ensure that you build nviz.
And perhaps the reason you did not build nviz was because you do not
have opengl on your system. That will prevent nviz from building. (That
is the problem I had). You will have to ensure you have opengl (see the
link to mesa on the requirements page if you need an opengl) and compile
it then rebuild grass to solve this error problem.

Opengl and nviz were NOT required in grass 5 - but in grass 6 they are
DEFINATE REQUIREMENTS if you require the GUI interface.

Check the end of the configure output and make sure it is including
nviz. In your grass6 installation directory you should have directory
nviz within the docs directory, eg  /usr/local/grass6/docs/nviz. Without
nviz, there is no nviz directory within docs and the grass6 gui will not
work.

Kingsley burlinson

here is the error I received before I built nviz: