[GRASSLIST:6420] Re: make intermediate contours or any contours at all

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 00:56:56 EDT 2005

> I want to enter by hand contour lines of 100, 200, 300 meters,
> and make a map with contours every 50 meters.
>
> r.surf.contour says use v.digit. OK but then how does one put the
> elevation in each label?

In v.digit, before digitizing, open up settings -> table tab and add
an elevation column, then create table. then add elevation as you
digitize lines.

Or if you want to tags to vector lines after you already have them in a
map, use db.execute to add a column and then 'd.what.vect -e' to label.

> And then I use v.to.rast, is that right?
>
> And then r.surf.contour I suppose.
>
> And then r.contour, and finally d.vect, no?

sounds right.

another way if you want to use splines is: v.to.points + v.surf.rst

> Let's say I fail because I can't understand instructions, and must
> just draw everything by hand. I suppose I would still need to use
> v.digit and somehow get the labels on the lines?

see above.

I think you can use QGIS to do it as well.

Hamish