[GRASSLIST:6579] Re: Who wants contour lines labeled "300.000000"?

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Wed Apr 20 18:19:49 EDT 2005

Dan,

I have experienced similar frustration with contour labeling in GRASS. I think
that part of the reason there aren't yet any robust feature labeling routines
is that GRASS is not (currently) aimed at cartographic output (please correct
me if i am wrong on this Markus, Hamish, and others...).

I have found GMT to be an excellent solution for creating cartographic
products directly based on GRASS rasters. Vector data is a little bit more
complicated, but GMT has some amazing contouring, and contour labeling
routines that make for some very slick looking maps: here is a rather crappy
one, but the contours are nice --
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/grass_user_group/elev.eps.png

cheers!

for some thoughts on GRASS-GMT operations take a quick look at:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/grass_user_group/

and sooner or later i will finish an article for the GRASS news letter on this
topic...

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis