[GRASSLIST:6633] Re: Import GRASS-Data from a distant Location/Mapset

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Apr 27 03:55:14 EDT 2005

On Wed, April 27, 2005 9:41, Marco Lechner said:
> Hi list,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to import GRASS-Data into my Location/Mapset from
> a Location/Mapset wich is storted somewhere else in the Network?
> I'm using GRASS for a GIS-Lecture and each user has its own
> Spearfish-Location/Mapsets. This is necessary, because the students also
> should learn to administrate a whole location.
> If I want to import one of the layers a student produced in his mapset I
> have to
>
>> cd PATHtoMAPSETfrom
>> tar cfz temp.tgz [list of relevant layernames - may be with wildcards:
> i.e. ./*/elevation* ./*/landuse.30m ./*/layernameA ...]
>> mv temp.tgz PATHtoMyMAPSET
>> cd PATHtoMyMAPSET
>> tar xzf temp.tgz
>> rm temp.tgz
>
> Is there an easier way -

from g.copy manual page:

"g.copy allows the user to copy existing data files from other mapsets to the
user's current mapset ($MAPSET). The files to be copied must exist in the
user's current mapset search path and location;"

and from the g.mapsets manual page:

"Modifies the user's current mapset search path, affecting the user's access
to data existing under the other GRASS mapsets in the current location."

Doesn't this solve your problem ?

Moritz