[GRASSLIST:6653] Re: Advice for a GRASS newbie

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 27 20:10:06 EDT 2005

Paul, not sure if this helps, but . . .

Rasters should be almost exactly the same between 5.3 and 6.0.
Sites have been converted to vector points from 5.3 to 6.0 so all
previus site functions are now vector functions.
Vectors are all kinds of different between 5.3 and 6.0 and the book
will probably not be that useful for them.
Nviz is essentially the same between 5.3 and 6.0
The GIS Manager is a great improvement in 6.0 and should be intuitive
to learn though the book I don't think covers any of it.

Vectors now require that you are comfortable handling databases such as
sql and the like.  If you aren't comfortable with these (like me) it
can be a bit frustrating, though you can still hammer through.  The
vector format change was definitely a good one, just one more thing to
learn.  You might try this tutorial for vectors.

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassSixTutorial

The book is still a great place to start, especially if you want to
learn the basics about how GIS's work.

G'luck
-Ian