[GRASSLIST:7826] Re: metadata xml

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:35:30 EDT 2005

If the data is from the US it is more than likely FGDC metadata:

http://www.fgdc.gov/metadata/metadata.html

otherwise it is probably ISO metadata which I think is documented here:

http://www.isotc211.org/

ESRI ArcCatelog has a tool for creating metadata and many datasets are
now taking advantage of that. There are a few stand alone tools for
FGDC metadata but I haven't used them much.

Metadata is a good thing and GRASS should get on this bandwagon.

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays