[GRASSLIST:7896] Slope and Aspect Algorithms in GRASS

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Sun Aug 14 21:53:31 EDT 2005

Greetings,

After reading a recent publication on the pros/cons of various algorithms for
calculating slope and aspect from gridded data [1], I became very curious
about which algorithms are implemented in some of the r.* and v.* commands .
A link to the science direct webpage and article text is included at the
bottom: note the long URL.

For example, the following commands can generate slope and aspect maps:
r.slope.aspect
r.param.scale
v.surf.rst
r.resamp.rst

According to the publication [1] , there are a number of ways in which slope
and aspect can be calculated (pages 4 - 6) : i.e. "three-point plane" , "four
closest neighbors" , "eight neighbors unweighted" ...

According to the paper, the "eight neighbors unweighted" algorithm, was the
most robust (at least when tested with a Monte Carlo style error analysis)
for slope, aspect, and topographic index calculations.

I looked through the source for r.slope.aspect, and could not determine which
method was being used.

Do any of the developers know which algorithms are used for the various
commands mentioned above to calculate slope and aspect values?

I think that it would be a good idea to:
1. document the slope/aspect algorithms being used in the various r.* commands
2. add some code to allow for different algorithms to be used (maybe just in
r.slope.aspect)

thanks!