[GRASSLIST:7981] Re: Calculating "costdistance" using a DEM (aka 3-d distance)

Ellen De Beuckeleer ellen.debeuckeleer at incgeo.be
Fri Aug 19 02:43:22 EDT 2005

To calculate the shortest distance between two points first create a
cost surface. this can be done via the user interface: Raster->Terrain
Analysis->cost surface, which calls r.cost. You need to give the raster
map which contains the costs. This can be your DEM, (but you can also
use the slope (Raster->Terrain Analysis->slope and aspect =
r.slope.aspect) to create slopes based on your DEM.) You also need to
give the coordinates of your starting point.

After creating the cost surface call r.drain (Raster->Terrain Analysis->
Least cost route or flow). As parameters you have to provide the end
point of your route. You can choose between 3 flags:   -c   Copy input
cell values on output,   -a   Accumulate input values along the path,
-n   Count cell numbers along the path.

I think, this should do it.

Ellen