[GRASSLIST:7983] Re: r.proj takes a very long time / does not complete

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 04:44:48 EDT 2005

I think that it is a conceptual mistake to consider a raster data set
in lat-long to have a "resolution" in the same sense as a projected
map. Degrees of latitude and longitude do not have constant spacing.
So a single resolution defined in meters (or whatnot) doesn't exist
(even on the globe) Now add to that, GIS can't work on ellipsoidal
surfaces and must project the globe onto a flat plane. So not only do
degrees have variable spacing to begin with, they must be warped to
get them into the flat-earth of the GIS.

I think it is best to consider lat-long grids a convenient storage
mechanism for variably spaced points because by the time you can
actually use them in a GIS (after projection and conversion to a
Cartesian coordinate system), that's what they will be. The point is
to remember that the conversion from geographic coordinates to
projected coordinates is a major transformation and not a simple
coordinate shift and resample problem.

As for how to estimate the resolution, I usually run the 4 corners of
my geographic data through proj to get the Cartesian coordinates
(State Plane, UTM, etc.). Now everything is on "flat-earth" and you
can calculate the appropriate resolution for your data with simple
arithmetic (after all, that's why we invented map projections!).

As a curiosity, if you want a spreadsheet that calculates the
ellipsoidal distance between any two points on the earth, send me an
email and I'll post it up on the web.

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays