[GRASSLIST:7990] calculating and coding aspect

DELCLAUX Francois francois.delclaux at msem.univ-montp2.fr
Fri Aug 19 12:32:18 EDT 2005

Hi,

I know two raster commands for getting aspect maps from DEM:
- r.slope.aspect: coding aspect  is well documented in user's guide
- r.watershed : the drainage map is  coded  with index values ranging from
1 to 8 . But  origin is not documented: 1= eastern cell ? or  1=northern
cell ?
Does someone could tell me where I can find  documentation ?

The others points are:
- are aspect and drainage  equivallent ?
- do some other grass commands are able to compute these parameters from
a DEM ?
- do some people make comparison between the results coming from different
commands ?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Francois DELCLAUX
UMR HydroSciences Montpellier
Universite Montpellier II - Place Eugene Bataillon
Case courrier MSE
34095 Montpellier Cedex 5 FRANCE
http://www.hydrosciences.org/
mailto: delclaux at msem.univ-montp2.fr
Tel : (33) (0)4 67 14 90 11 Fax : (33) (0)4 67 14 47 74